Saturday, August 17, 2013


Mark Twain Endurance Run

Finding my way through a hot summer, maintaining my mileage has been a challenge.  Finding the sweetspot between time, hottest point in the day, and putting in 4-14 mile runs has proven to be a challenge, especially living in a town that offers all paved roads, and only one option of a park to hit the trails.  In order to prepare for this race, 50 miles, two laps on single track trails, 25 mile loops, my strategy has been to take on as many hills as I possibly can.  

The Mark Twain 50 mile run is also a 100 miler.  I am feeling ready to run another 100 miler again in the future, but my only options really are to wait until next years winter season.  Until then, I am going to take on a series of races next year in Febuaray, March, and April.

After th Mark Twain 50, I will continue training for the Sylamore 50k in Febuary, Three Days of Syllamo Stage race which is a 50k, 50mile, and 20k in March, and then the Ouachita 50mile in April. I am excited to see how my body and mind hold up during these three months as I also juggle school, being a new father, and mainting some sort of a life, which who am I kiding..I lost a long time ago.

So as of now, I am mentally getting prepared for this race in September.  Trying to get in my mileage which is anywere from 40-60 miles a week, depening on the week, heat, and time.  I am excited as this will be my first ultra distance race outside of The Natural State, yet I know I will stil feel at home as I will still be running through the Ozarks...Just the northern part. 

The most important thing I have learned as a runner is that it is not everrything.  It is not the most import thing in the world.  It is however, a strong part of my life.  It is a very important part of the human build and created potential that all people can harness if they choose.  Running is not the one thing I wake up for and go to sleep for, but it does drive me to wake up and get my sleep each night.  It is not the ultimate concept, but to me, it does trump the "Normalcy" of the world.  Running is the most normal thing I can do in my life.  When I run, I live.  When Im not running, I am thinking about it.  When I cant run because I am tired, I do What I can to recover so that I can run again in the future.  

Running is not everything, but it is the most normal thing in my life. 
-Cheers-

No comments:

Post a Comment